High Fives Foundation empowers and inspires through adaptive adventures, fostering recovery and transforming lives with a positive impact.
In the realm of non-profit organizations, the High Fives Foundation stands out as a beacon of hope and support for individuals recovering from life-changing injuries. Founded in 2009 by Roy Tuscany, who experienced his own journey of recovery from a spinal cord injury, the foundation has since grown to become a national 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization based in California. Let’s explore the impactful programs that define High Fives Foundation’s mission to prevent injuries, provide resources, and inspire a positive outlook on life.
- Military to the Mountains: High Fives Foundation’s “Military to the Mountains” program is a heartfelt salute to veterans and first responders. This initiative introduces them to the healing effects of skiing and snowboarding in California and Colorado. Through intensive training and adaptive ski lessons, the program aims to provide therapeutic experiences for those who have served our country. Learn more @ https://highfivesfoundation.org/programs/military-to-the-mountain/
- Return to Dirt: “Return to Dirt” is an adaptive motorsports program that empowers disabled individuals by putting them behind the wheel of their own adventure. With specialized equipment, expert guidance, and a supportive team, High Fives Foundation makes inaccessible environments accessible. This program goes beyond boundaries, offering a sense of freedom to those facing mobility limitations. Learn more @ https://highfivesfoundation.org/programs/return-to-dirt/
- CRJ Healing Center: At the heart of High Fives Foundation’s headquarters lies the CR Johnson Healing Center, a 6,000 sq/ft training facility. This center provides essential resources for athletes recovering from life-altering and sport-related injuries. From physical therapy to acupuncture, the center plays a vital role in the rehabilitation journey, attracting over 300 visits monthly from High Fives athletes and community members. Learn more @ https://highfivesfoundation.org/programs/cr-johnson-healing-center/
- Empowerment Fund: High Fives Foundation’s commitment extends to its “Empowerment Fund,” which supports athletes with adaptive sports equipment and financial aid for various rehabilitation resources. This fund addresses critical categories such as living expenses, insurance, health, travel, and the infusion of positive energy. The foundation aims not just to assist but to inspire those facing life-altering injuries. Learn more @ https://highfivesfoundation.org/grant-application/
- B.A.S.I.C.S. (Docuseries): The “B.A.S.I.C.S.” program (Being Aware Safe In Critical Situations) takes a proactive approach to safety in mountain sports. Through annual documentaries and live presentations at schools, High Fives Foundation educates over 750,000 young athletes on smart decision-making. This program embodies the foundation’s vision as the safety net of the mountain action sports community. Learn more @ https://highfivesfoundation.org/programs/basics/
Since its inception in 2009, the High Fives Foundation has become a transformative force in the lives of more than 700 athletes from across the United States. With over $8 million disbursed to individuals and veterans with life-changing injuries, the foundation continues to make a profound impact. As we reach new heights and break down barriers, High Fives Foundation remains dedicated to empowering individuals on their journey to recovery and beyond.