High Five #HighFivesAthlete Danielle Shannon for achieving all of her five Arcade Belt Goals!
Danielle’s last goal in the Arcade X High Fives Goal Belt Program revolved around academics, rather than exercise and recreation.
- GOAL 1 – To be released from acute inpatient rehab by 26th birthday on May 27th (COMPLETED on 9/5/2015)
- GOAL 2 – Hike to pick blueberries on Max’s mountain, AK (COMPLETED on 7/27/2015)
- GOAL 3 – Gain confidence in skiing overall (COMPLETED on 3/1/2017)
- GOAL 4 – To be accepted in the nursing program at Plymouth State University (COMPLETED on 8/12/2017)
- GOAL 5 – Do at least 3 aerobic activities a week (COMPLETED on 7/15/2017)
Danielle was happy to be accepted in the program, and is currently attending her first semester in the nursing program!
In February 2015, Danielle crashed into a rock while skiing at Alyeska Resort in Girdwood, AK. Ski patrol responded within 10 minutes and they were quick to rush Danielle to Providence Hospital where she underwent immediate brain surgery to relieve pressure and remove a blot clot.
Danielle beat doctor’s prognoses, and has gone on to make a near full recovery. She is back to participating in all of the sports she used to. None of this would have been possible if Daniele hadn’t set goals along the way.
These goals are achieved as a part of the Arcade Goal Belt Program which was established as an initiative that guides athletes through the complex recovery process after a life-altering injury.
The belt program, which is similar to a karate belt system, rewards High Fives athletes with an Arcade belt containing a new gold star for each milestone achieved. This framework is designed to provide clarity, support, competition and inspiration for others as these athletes work to rebuild their lives.